Ernakulam District was formed on 1 April 1958, from the taluks of Aluva, Kunnathunadu, Kochi, Kanayannur, and Paravoor,which were formerly part of Thrissur District. Initially the district headquarters was at Ernakulam, which gave the district its name the headquarters was later shifted to Kakkanad. The word/name Ernakulam is derived from a Tamil word Erayanarkulam which means abode of Lord Shiva.
Ernakulam district is situated almost at the middle of Kerala State and on the coast of the Arabian Sea. It is also the most industrially advanced and flourishing District of Kerala compared to the other districts.